Raritan Lots circa 1685
This early map of the Raritan Lots shows the division and ownership of the tracks initially distributed by the Proprietors along the Raritan River in Middlesex and Somerset counties. The map, titled "A map of Rariton River, Milstone River, South River ... (1685) I. Reid," was drawn by John Reid ( - 1723).
Indian Purchases circa 1740
This is another Proprietors' map showing Indian purchases between 1671 to 1717. The area of Green Brook Township is included in an October 30, 1684 purchase by Gawen Lawrie who was the Deputy Governor of East New Jersey from 1683 to 1686.
Of particular interest is a point on the map identified as Metapes Wigwam. Chief Sachems Metapes of Toponemose was a signatory of many of the Indian purchases. His wigwam was located at the intersection of Sebring Mill Road and Rt. 22.
The site is two miles upstream form the Raritan River at the confluence of Bound Brook and Green Brook, where King George Road crosses the stream before heading North over the first Whachung mountain. King George road, which runs between Metapes Wigwam and the confluence of the Dead River and the Passaic River was the dividing line between two of the tracks. The selection of that line suggests that the road may have been an important Indian trail connecting the Raritan and the Passaic Rivers.
Somerset Boundaries 1775
This map shows the township divisions of Somerset County in 1775. At that time, most of Green Brook township was included in Bridgewater Township. According to the "Bridgewater Charter of 1749," the division between Bernardston Township and Bridgewater was King road running North from Green Brook at the Lawrence Ruth Mill. While the exact location of the mill is not known, King Road probably followed the route of the current Rock Avenue up the first mountain to the abandoned Ravine Road. Then up the mountain on Ravine through Quibbletown Gap to Washington Rock Road, crossing Mountain Boulevard in Watchung, and meeting the abandoned extension of Mt. Horeb Road at the Old Baptist Meeting House on Church Road in Warren. In late eighteenth century documents from the Baptist Meeting House, the road is referred as the Old Quibbletown Gap Road.
Benjamin Morgan Survey 1766
The Morgan map of Somerset County was drawn by I. Hills. It shows lot numbers, boundaries, and the original owners of the grants from the East Jersey Proprietors. The map was based on a 1766 survey by Benjamin Morgan; however, by 1766, many of the lots had changed hands several times, or been further subdivided into wood lots, mine lots, and farms.
The land covered by Lots 166 and 169, which encompassed most of Green Brook Township and a large portion of Piscataway, was initially purchased by Benjamin Hull from the Indian Chief "Cowankeen," in 1683, and then again by Lawrie in 1684. The two lots were included in a 1690 grant from the Proprietors to Sir Evan Cameron of Lochiel, Scotland, who was a Scottish Nobleman and land speculator. In the subsequent years, the lots were subdivided and distributed by several other land speculators including James Alexander (the father of Lord Stirling), Peter Drummond, Andrew Johnston, and Andrew Hay.
Hills was a British engineer, who came to America prior to the Revolution. He stayed in America after the war and made a series of maps of Philadelphia.
Quibbletown to Mount Bethel 1778
This map, which is number 70D in the Erskin/DeWitt Revolutionary War map series, was drawn by Robert Erskin. It shows the road from Mount Bethel Meeting House to Quibbletown, and from Quibbletown to Brunswick. Of particular interest is the location of Widow Vermeule's house on Rock Avenue. She was the wife of Adrian Vermeule. See the Mundy House.
The map identifies the point where the road crosses the first mountain as the "Quibbletown Gap". During the late 1800's, the road over the mountain was called "Ravine Road". Although now abandoned, the road bed can still be identified.
Robert Erskin, "Washington's Mapmaker", had managed a successful Iron manufacturing business in Ringwood, New Jersey, before accepting Washington's commission as Surveyor General. Until his death in 1780, he was responsible for the production of a large number of excellent maps for the the Continental Army.
Continental Army Survey 1777
This map, which is number 55 in the Erskin/DeWitt series, was drawn for Capt. William Scull. It shows detailed locations of the Continental Army units during the 1776-77 Middlebrook encampment. Of particular interest is the road running along the top of the first mountain. Until recently obliterated by subdivisions, it was known as the "Driftway". The road that runs on the north side of Green Brook from Sebring's Mill through Stephen Vail's plantation became the Western end of Greenbrook Road.
The map also shows the location of artillery emplacements on the top of the mountain at Wayne's Gap (Vossller Avenue), Lincoln's Gap (King George Road), and Quibbletown Gap (the old Ravine Road). The dark square at the top of Warrenville Road, probably identifies the location of a redoubt or a fortified position. Finally note, that the gap through which Stony Brook and Somerset Street now run is identified as the Brownstown Gap.
The confluence of Green Brook and Bound Brook shown on the map is not correct since the location is just upstream of Sebring's Mill. The confluence identified as Bound Brook is actually Ambrose Brook. Perhaps the swampy ground between the two Brooks caused the confusion.
North Plainfield 1778
This early twentieth century Cornelius C. Vermeule map of North Plainfield was purportedly a copy of an original Revolutionary War map made by Capt. Cornelius Vermeule Jr. in 1778. The map shows the location of the early landowners, mills, and the Blue Hills Military Post. The names associated with the Vail farm, however, are not correct. The property was purchased by John Vail in 1733; and not the John Vail Sr. from Green Brook who had four sons with the names indicated. The John Vail that purchased the plantation in North Plainfield was the brother of Samuel Vail and the uncle of John Vail Sr. and Stephen Vail Sr. of Green Brook.
This twentieth century map is a composite of Revolutionary War maps and shows the location of Continental Army units during the Middlebrook encampment. It also shows the location of many of the major roads used by the army during that period.
Battle Grounds of the Revolution
This map of the Battle Grounds of the Revolution in New Jersey was drawn by Cornelius C. Vermeule in the early twentieth century and reprinted in "The Revolutionary Scene in New Jersey" by Robert Hoffman, 1942.
Green Brook 1781
A portion of a map of the Province of Jersey. The map was compiled from original surveys undertaken by I. Hills in 1781.The three roods crossing Green Brook are King George Road, Warrenville Road, and Rock Avenue. The connecting road on the right is Mt. Horeb Road on the second mountain.
The houses indicated along Green Brook, from King George Road to Rock Avenue, are probably those that were built by John Ross (the Sebring House), Stephen Vail (the Trust House), Stephen Vail's eldest son Thomas Vail (the Blue Hills Plantation ), John Vail Jr. (the Johah Vail House), John Vail Sr. (the Joseph Vail House located on the site of the Green Brook Baptist Church), and Adrian Vermuele (the Mundy House).
Green Brook Road 1785
Plot of Greenbrook Road from Warrenville Road to Rock Avenue as designated in a 1785 Somerset County Road Document.
Warren and North Plainfield 1872
Part of an early map of Warren and North Plainfield Townships with detailed property ownership and road alignments of that period. Of particular interest are the family names along Greenbrook Road and the old school house where the Green Brook Town Hall is now located.
Green Brook 1887
Part of the earliest topographical map of the Green Brook area. The map is based on a triangulation by the U.S. Coast and Geodetic Survey with topography by the Geological Survey of New Jersey. The area was surveyed in 1887, with culture features revised in 1899.
Note that even by this date, there was no highway paralleling the first Watchung mountain on the North side of Green Brook. The first road along this route was built in 1930 . It was New Jersey Rt. 29 which later become Rt. 22.